From exercising to drinking water and using nutritional products, there are many ways and steps to detox and cleanse your body. Cleansing your body of toxins not only helps eliminate them but also provides such benefits as increased energy, weight loss, and improved overall health.
Berberine has long been used in traditional Ayurveda and Chinese medicine to treat many health concerns, including intestinal problems, bacterial infections, and inflammation. Berberine is present in many plants, including the European barberry, goldenseal, goldthread, Oregon grape, phellodendron, and tree tumeric. It is found in roots, rhizomes, stems, and the bark.
Supplementing with berberine can help prevent energy drain and support digestive health. While this isn’t new to the natural health world, recent studies have shown that Berberine can help support many functions and health concerns with our bodies. So what else can it do? Here are 5 more health benefits:
- Natural Antimicrobial – Many studies have pointed out that Berberine has significant antimicrobial activity against bacteria, viruses, protozogans, helminths, and chlamydia. By inhibiting the ability of bacteria to attach to human cells, Berberine helps protect agains many bacterial infections, particularly in the throat, intestines, and urinary tract. Berberine’s antimicrobial properties in the digestive system make it a unique supplement to use in a detox program as well.
- Support for Blood Glucose Levels & Type 2 Diabetes – A clinical trial published in Metabolism found that “Berberine works just as well as the top-selling drug for type 2 diabetes, Metformin (Glucophage).” The study conducted on individuals with Type 2 diabetes found that Berberine significantly lowered blood glucose and hemoglobin levels. In the study, Berberine was every bit as effective as Metformin in regulating glucose metabolism. So wouldn’t you prefer a natural anti-diabetic supplement that is just as, if not more effective as an anti-diabetic pharmaceutical? Most of us would agree.
- Helps Lower Cholesterol Levels – Staying on the Berberine vs diabetes drugs subject, Berberine has also been shown to lower LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels, something most (if not all) diabetes drugs cannot do. The study, published in the The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, found that Berberine lowered triglycerides by 35.9 percent, LDL cholesterol by 21 percent, and total cholesterol by 18 percent! Besides lowering cholesterol, the study also found that Berberine lowered blood pressure and increased weight/fat loss.
- Supports Cardiovascular Health – According to healthline.com, “preliminary research suggests that Berberine, in addition to a standard prescription drug regimen for chronic congestive heart failure (CHF), may improve quality of life and heart function, and improve mortality.” A study reported in the Cardiovascular Drug Review also “indicated the cardiovascular effects of Berberine may make it useful in the treatment of arrhythmias and/or heart failure.” Besides heart failure, Berberine can certainly reduce the risk of heart disease, especially since it can reduce cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels — all of which are risk factors for heart disease.
- Supports Mental and Brain Health- A recent study conducted at the Shandong University of Technology in China found that “Berberine helps prevent oxidation damage to bio molecules in the brain, inhibits enzymes which breakdown important memory molecules, reduces peptides that interfere with proper memory function, and lowers lipids that interfere with cerebral blood flow.” It’s interaction with brain and mental health show that Berberine may also be able to ward off Alzheimer’s disease.
Other studies show that Berberine improves bone density and preserves cartilage, protects against acute brain damage, reduce inflammation, and may reduce cancer cell spreading. Berberine should definitely be at the top of your supplement list if you have diabetes, cardiovascular concerns, cancer, immune challenges, intestinal infections, or just want an amazing overall health supplement! If you’re looking for a quality Berberine supplement, you might want to check out the LongLifeNutri Berberine.
If you’ve used Berberine we’d like to hear about it, and so would others! Share your results below.